Mini Twists 2018 (left) – Bantu Knot Out 2013 (right)
The natural hair journey has been an exciting one since I began back in January of 2013 when I did my first Big Chop. Five years ago, I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I made the decision to cut all of my hair off. I knew nothing but how to keep my hair straight so going from that daily routine to now not using any heat appliances in my hair nor chemical straighteners was a huge change for me.
Photography provided by @K_DougDE
So far, over the last five years, I have learned fully how to care for my own hair in it’s natural state. I still continue the no heat practice and I embrace more protective styles using my own hair without weave, particularly mini twists are my style of choice weekly. I can’t go to sleep at night, not even for a nap during the daytime hours, without my satin bonnet. Wearing my bonnet faithfully anytime I lay my head down even for some simple rest has helped decrease breakage dramatically along with any shedding on wash days. Trimming my ends has been a new routine for me as well being natural, as I dust my ends about twice a month. At first I kept my trimming to once a month, which helped but it wasn’t enough. By the time I got to the end of each month, I would still find split ends and random knots on my ends from time to time. Once I increased my trimming, I began to see a decrease in end damage. Using more water and oil on my hair has helped a lot as well. I found that before I would deal with a lot of breakage while styling because I would try to style my hair while it was dry. This is a big no-no for any natural with a 4 based hair type. Using more water plus my natural oils has helped my styles last longer weekly as well. I only have to manipulate my curls into a style once a week so far.
Favorite Hair Products:
- Shampoo – Ouidad & Creme of Nature
- Conditioner – Ouidad, Creme of Nature and Flawless Hair by Gabrielle Union
- Leave in Conditioner – Pink Luster (product review coming soon!) and Creme of Nature
- Oil – African Royale Hot Six Oil and African Pride Miracle Olive Oil (product review coming soon!)
- Curling Cream – Creme of Nature Curling Pudding (product review coming soon!)
- Gel – Eco Styler, Creme of Nature Snot (product review coming soon!) & Ouidad
Mini Twists & Wigs
Newest Blog Posts:
- Nothing Better Than H2O: The Importance of Water while Natural
- Protective Styling with Wigs
- Vacay Voxbox Product Review
- Jean Shorts Season with Charlotte Russe
- Secret Wood Azure Falls Ring
- Fall Looks with Poppy Apparel
- Target – Wild Fable’s New Workwear for Women
- Secret Wood Discount Code
New Affiliation Partnerships
New blog posts are coming with new product hauls, product reviews and giveaways for our natural hair readers and subscribers soon, stay tuned!
Disclaimer: Affiliate links have been included in this post in which Delux Designs (DE), LLC sister site DeluxHair receives a commission from any sales made through this post. We assure you, the products featured through DE from product reviews are products that we recommend based off of our own personal experiences from using them.